This week I was introduced to the stations of the cross at St. Raphael in Kauai, Hawaii. St. Raphael is the oldest Catholic church on the island and Raphael has special meaning to Clarence because the name was given to him while he lived in Brazil several years ago. According to Catholicism, St. Raphael is one of the 7 archangels in heaven. He is known as the angel of marriage, healing, happy meetings and travel to name a few. I grabbed a little book on him and read the story of Tobias. I had no idea that there was a book of Tobias that Catholics consider part of the bible.
The stations of the cross follow this sequence:
- Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane,
- Jesus is betrayed by Judas and arrested,
- Jesus is condemned by the Sanhedrin,
- Jesus is denied by Peter,
- Jesus is judged by Pilate,
- Jesus is scourged and crowned with thorns,
- Jesus takes up his cross,
- Jesus is helped by Simon to carry his cross,
- Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem,
- Jesus is crucified,
- Jesus promises his kingdom to the repentant thief,
- Jesus entrusts Mary and John to each other,
- Jesus dies on the cross,
- Jesus is laid in the tomb.
Have you studied the stations before?