I’ve never been big on negotiating prices when I shop. I have always preferred a fixed, but great, price. However, we decided to check out Silk Street with another California couple vacationing in Beijing and I must say it was entertaining. The way it goes down inside this place is like this –
- You see something you like and ask how much it cost.
- They give you a RIDICULOUS price.
- You laugh and offer 1/10th of the price.
- They laugh and then proceed to flatter you with compliments or why they like you with a slightly lower price. She told Kassi she was pretty and tried to connect with me ethnically, asking if I was half Chinese.
- You continue to go back and forth.
- They tell you that you are crazy (usually).
- You walk out of the store as they shout a lower price.
- They finally give you the item for the price you offered last (if you walk out the store).
- If you don’t walk out of the store then you will pay more than you should.
After that little shopping excursion we ate lunch at a local restaurant. Check out the to-go container for Clarence’s noodles.